Wednesday 26 August 2009

First impressions – 25.08.2009


A wasp
circles my espresso
keen with interest
he playfully tastes
the aromas.

Last night I arrived in Ljubljana after a frightening flight in a small plane. It was dark and all I could see were the street lights and roads similar to any other found in a western country. When I woke up I saw that Ljubljana, much like most of the Slovenia I saw on my train journey, is full of high hills practically mountains covered by a cloud of trees that give them a soft look that begs to be touched.
I took the train to Sezana and from there to my current destination of Branik a small town over looked by an ancient roman fortress that I found out has had many inhabitants; German dukes, one of whom refused to serve in the German army and was taken to a concentration camp and then to bicycle his way back to his beloved castle at the end of the war. The nazis also occupied the castle for a time which they filled with ammunition supplies that the resistance blew up explaining why there is no outer wall and you can now see straight in to the courtyard. Later in the Yugoslavian era the castle became a national heritage sight, which was then eventually during the separation of Yugoslavia handed back to the previous owners whose name escapes me at the moment. As Slovenia became part of the European union, ownership was once again handed back to the government who began restoration work that has since ceased due to a rare species of bat moving in to the old castle. I am sure this story has quite a few flaws through it but it is the way I remember it being told.
The Villa I am staying in is beautiful; It has a turquoise green gate with that is adorned with eighteen flames and a downward spiral that blooms in to a flower, it also has a lovely little garden, a spacious studio and a cat that comes to visit, his name is Mickey. Inside there are four swords that Tjasa the owner of this house found on the streets of Venice.
The town of Branik itself consists of 1500 inhabitants, a post office, grocery store, town hall, pub and a church that rings its bells. I have found myself writing since the moment I got here and have already been inspired to write a new story, a mystery which is why I a sceptical about how much I should say about it. I will however put some excerpts in here from time to time. Tomorrow I will wake up early and hike up to one of the nearby mountains from where I will be able to view the Mediterranean sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment